"Truth: In a recent poll conducted by Angus Reid, more than half of Canadians surveyed (57 percent) said they were concerned that the organic products they purchased might not truly be organic. To address this issue, the Canadian Government recently implemented a new Organic Products Regulation which includes the Canada Organic Logo. The logo guarantees that products contain at least 95 per cent organic ingredients."
1. But what does the Canadian Organic logo really mean? It's like an onion skin the more you dig into the facts...
The Canada Organic label states that these substances or procedures are forbidden:
- All materials and products produced from genetic engineering.
- Synthetic pesticides, wood preservatives or other pesticides, except as specified in CAN/CGSB-32.31.
- Fertilizer or composted plant and animal material that contains a prohibited substance.
- Sewage sludge used as a soil amendment.
- Synthetic growth regulators.
CBC article on organic regulations
Canadian Food Inspection Agency
Consumers Association Article on Organics
USDA organic label info
Article on USDA organic scandal
Get involved in your community farms:
Growing Chefs - Projects in Urban Agriculture for Children
Farm Folk City Folk