Monday, January 11, 2010

Don't do this with your kids... Deboning a Rabbit

I am currently on a mission to eat as many BC wild meats as many ways as possible. My task is simple; to develop an array of recipes for the wild meat lovers of the world, myself included. Starting with the cutest, apparently, and ending with the biggest... bear maybe?
I've never eaten a whole rabbit. They just aren't offered in non-terrine forms for some reason in Vancouver. So, I grabbed a British recipe and an Italian one (Sicilians love their rabbit, who knew?) and cooked one up at home. Last night, I started with the Brit version, cider braised rabbit with shallots, thyme and rosemary from my garden. Here it is...

The deboning took me 40 minutes and was tiring but interesting from a biological standpoint. Here's a good video if you've always wanted to learn to debone a bunny.

It was good, but not great. Rabbit tastes like a less flavourful pork it seems, boring. I am disappointed so far. Anyone with any ideas for spectacular rabbit dishes, please email me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment